Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm really not out to maim myself but...

Due to the graphic nature of the content of this posting I won't include photographs unless I get a large number of requests...

It's a well known fact that things happen in threes, good things, bad things in between things. This is a statement that is especially true when it comes to my fingers. For one reason or another (none of them very good reasons mind you) I've been on a systematic mission to char, scar and possibly hack off the tips of various fingers.

First, I placed my finger on the hot element of the stove top while trying to see if the water in the pot was getting warm. I don't even remember what I was cooking at the time or why I wanted to know that particular piece of information.

Second While juggling stove top, counter top and oven space one night in my ridiculously small galley kitchen I reached over to move the hot baking sheet out of the way of my grabby toddler. I remember quite clearly thinking as I went to grab the sheet "I should really put on the oven mitts to do this" by which time the small layer of moisture on my fingers had sizzled off and I was racing quickly (read turning 360º) to the sink and the cold water tap followed by a trip (read leaning over slightly) to the freezer to grab an ice pack.

Finally (third times the charm), last Wednesday morning, after two nights of night terrors (my daughter's not mine) and multiple night wakings I managed to nearly slice a nice meaty portion of finger off of my left hand while trying unsuccessfully to slice watermelon for breakfast. I clearly remember thinking; as I placed my index finger conveniently underneath the just sharpened (by me the day before) blade, "this is not the way to slice a watermelon..." by which time the knife had slipped and with alarming force sliced into said finger and I was racing quickly (read turning 360º) to the sink and the cold water tap followed by a call to the husband for the first aid kit, gauze and tape and a trip to the computer to call the walk in clinic across the road. 4 stitches and a tetanus shot later I think I'm all full up on finger injuries for awhile. At least until the first of another set of three descends.

Due to the graphic nature of the content of this posting I won't include photographs unless I get a large number of requests...

3 comments:

anymommy said...

Your poor hands. Thank you for not including photos. Reading about it made me squirm!

gina said...

Yikes- at least your three is up! (looking on the bright side?!???)

agoodwitchtoo said...

Wow but I am feeling a bit queezy without the pictures to accompany the injuries...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts