Sunday, November 9, 2008

Have a holly jolly....

This year we've decided to purchase all of our gifts for friends and family from local artisans and artists or on Etsy. In part it's because I'm now selling my photographs and other art on Etsy and I want to help promote the venue and other artists like myself. So it's in my karmic interest, what goes around comes around.

On another level I just want to be able to give gifts that can't be bought at the local mall. I want to be able to find something that just suits each person that I'm buying for. The great thing about a website like Etsy is that I can find something for everyone on my shopping list all unique and beautifully made.

I know it's sickeningly early to be talking about holiday shopping and gift giving. It seems like every year the holiday marketing starts earlier and earlier. Personally I don't like to think about it until at least after Remembrance Day if not later. However, I also like to have all my shopping done and over with before December, so that I can kick back and enjoy cookies and eggnog during the hectic rush and only have to shop if I really want to; not because I've still got two people to gift.

Also by the time December rolls around I'm so tired of holiday music I'm grumpy with and become anti-holiday in reaction. With a two year old that's just not where I want to be. It's the Mall Muzak that takes me 'round the bend, but I really like non-muzak holiday music especially the Pouges Fairytale of New York, The Raveonettes Christmas Song, the original Band Aid and Aimee Mann's version of You're A Mean One Mr Grinch. I could put those on repeat for weeks. I listen to them throughout the year. Speaking of which I think I'll play a little of it now...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts