Friday, October 10, 2008

What got me started was...




For years now my parents and siblings have been urging me to sell my photographs. So now I've started, not that I've sold anything yet, but I'm optimistic.

After I graduated from
Emily Carr, I wanted to be able to pay off my student loans, and I took the first job which had a tie to visual arts that came my way. The only problem was working a full-time job didn't leave a lot of time to devote to my art and other than small spurts of creative output I spent most of my spare time with my husband or in front of the television, not such a bad thing considering that my husband is great company.

As for television:ditto. From the time that I learned to read, story has been a very important part of how I live my life. I'm always reading at least two different books at any given time and I have a list of television shows that I follow because plots are entertaining, I like the premise behind the show, they are well written and/or I like the characters. For the longest time I've felt vaguely guilty and embarrassed about this. I mean I think that I watch way too much tv, really too much, but I've come to accept it and even embrace my love for television, but I digress and perhaps I'll expand on my guilty love affair with television and it's link to my love of the story some other time.

So where was I? After working a 40 hour week I'd be burnt out and have very little desire to create. All through school I
worked 80 hour weeks on art projects and school work plus I worked part time to help put food on the table, you'd think I'd have been burnt out from that schedule, but it was as one or two of my friends put it "working for the man that dragged me down"

The decision to make art my full time (or secondary vocation after raising a toddler) came after number crunching for daycare. If I was going to go back to work it would be doing something that I absolutely loved, and that I could fit into my schedule of playgroups, story-times and trips to the liberly (my daughter's name for the library)

Enter Yoyomama http://www.yoyomama.ca/
One of their emails was promoting a local artisan who had a shop on Etsy,
an online marketplace for buying & selling all things handmade. I clicked on the link and then waited for a few weeks to jump in.

The rest is the present. I'm displaying my art for the whole world to see. It's not an art gallery but It gets more world wide exposure. Eventually I'll get out from behind the computer screen and hang in real space. When that happens you'll be the first to find out

1 comment:

Shawn said...

My very best to you and this blog. It's excellent.

Your photography is beautiful; I hope you keep it up.

I look forward to visiting this blog again soon!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts