Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Another One Off the List

For some reason (personally I'm going with the theory that a one year old is not conducive to long periods of reading) I'm not getting through the books as fast as I'd like to but I've finished another, about three chapters in on one more and have three more ready to be picked up from the library.

Roopa Farooki's The Flying Man was a pretty good story. I read it in fits and starts, but when I was reading I was absorbed. The main character seems to have a split personality having been born the surviving twin of a still born brother in effect he has stolen the life force of his brother in the womb. He becomes throughout his life the charming grifter, making no firm attachments leaving a trail of wives and friends in his wake as he easily walks out the door without notice or farewells. (with the constant companion he refers to as my, he and we; perhaps the spirit of his twin who he carries in his head and speaks aloud to when he is alone)  finally ending up alone in a discount hotel presumably writing his life story for someone to find. As a character he isn't very likable and I found the characters of his family much more interesting. The parallel ending between our heroes death and his sun's movement forward with his life and how different each ones life was based on their choices was a perfect closing to the book.

I'm not sure that this book will cling to my brain but it was a good story.

  • Island of Wings by Karin Altenberg 
  • On the Floor by Aifric Campbell 
  • The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen - On deck
  • The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue 
  • Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan - Finished
  • The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
  • The Flying Man by Roopa Farooki - Finished
  • Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon 
  • Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding 
  • Gillespie and I by Jane Harris 
  • The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay
  • The Blue Book by A.L. Kennedy 
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Reading Now
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
  • Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick - Finished
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  • There but for the by Ali Smith
  • The Pink Hotel by Anna Stothard
  • Tides of War by Stella Tillyard - On deck
  • The Submission by Amy Waldman  - On deck

 While I was about half through Flying Man, I  started on Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I'm finding the tone to be somewhat similar to China MiĆ©ville. I'm enjoying it so far but then I'm a sucker for stories about magic. Are you reading along? Which book are you reading, what do you think of it?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts